The uses of Bis-Tris Buffer - A starting guide
Bis-Tris is one of the most popular zwitterionic biological buffers and it is often used in biological and biochemical research. Although Bis-Tris is not officially a Good’s buffer, its structure is very similar to the buffers developed by Norman E. Good.
The origin of the name Bis-Tris comes from its structure. Unlike most of the other available biological buffers, Bis-Tris’ has functional groups related to two different structural families: the Bis(2-hydroxyethyl)amine family and the Tris family.
We analyzed the scientific literature available to make a list of how Bis-Tris has been used and which concerns you should have before using it.
Bis-Tris Buffer basic information:
- CAS Number: 6976-37-0
- Molecular Weight: 209.2g/mol
- Formula: C8H19NO5
- Useful ph range: 5.8 – 7.2
- pKa (25°C): 6.46
What is Bis-Tris recommended for?
- Used as a buffer for anion exchange chromatography1
- Used as a running buffer, gel buffer and sample buffer with different types of electrophoresis2,3
- Used with ACES as a running buffer for gel electrophoresis (Bis-Tris/ACES)4
- Used for agarose gel electrophoresis5
Which concerns should you have before choosing Bis-Tris for your research?
- It forms a strong complex with Pb2+ and Cu2+ and a has a weak interaction with other common metals
- It is not suitable for use with the Bicinchoninic Acid (BCA) Assay.
- It interacts with human liver fatty acid binding protein (FAB) and affects protein dynamics6
Useful tips about Bis-Tris:
- It is highly soluble in water
- It is considered a good alternative to cacodylate, a highly toxic buffer
- It is considered a good alternative to maleic acid, a buffer with high UV-absorption
- It is considered a good alternative to citrate, a buffer that binds to some proteins and forms complexes with some metals
Further reading:The uses of Tris buffer - A starting guide
Hopax Bis-Tris Buffer
Hopax Fine Chemicals is among the largest producers of Bis-Tris in the world. Our products are shipped daily to top research centers and biotech companies in Europe, America and Asia.
What we offer:
- Product straight from our manufacturing sites
- Worldwide shipping to your door
- Assistance with shipping
- Small and bulk packages (from grams to tons)
- International quality standards
- After-sales service with English speaking staff
1 Donoghue, M., Hsieh, F., Baronas, E., Godbout, K., Gosselin, M., Stagliano, N., Donovan, M., Woolf, B., Robison, K., Jeyaseelan, R., Breitbart, R.E., & Acton, S. (2000). A novel angiotensin-converting enzyme–related carboxypeptidase (ACE2) converts angiotensin I to angiotensin 1-9. Circulation Research, 87(5)
2 Nijtmans, L. G., Henderson, N. S., & Holt, I. J. (2002). Blue Native electrophoresis to study mitochondrial and other protein complexes. Methods, 26(4), 327-334
3 Klampfl, C. W., Katzmayr, M. U., & Buchberger, W. (1998). Separation of inorganic and organic anions by capillary zone electrophoresis with simultaneous indirect UV and conductivity detection. Electrophoresis, 19(14), 2459-2464
4 Liu, Q., Li, X., & Sommer, S.S. (1999). pK-matched running buffers for gel electrophoresis. Anal. Biochem., 270(1), 112-122
5 Thevis, M., Loo, R. R. O., & Loo, J. A. (2003). In-gel derivatization of proteins for cysteine-specific cleavages and their analysis by mass spectrometry. J. Proteome Res., 2(2), 163-172
6 Long, D., & Yang, D. (2009). Buffer interference with protein dynamics: a case study on human liver fatty acid binding protein. Biophysical Journal, 96(4), 1482-1488
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Biological Buffers Useful pH range of Biological Buffers 2018.11.15 In order to study biological processes in laboratory, researchers often need to use buffers to maintain the correct pH during the experiment they are performing. Each buffer is effective on keeping the pH stable in a specific pH range...
- Biological Buffers The 9 best biological buffers for electrophoresis 2018.08.22 Biological buffers are an essential part of electrophoresis techniques. They are usually added to solutions in order to make the pH stable while...